Thursday 5 January 2012

Ring out the old, Ring in the new

Happy New Year to you! To take a line from Tennyson’s ‘Ring Out Wild Bells’, it’s time to ‘Ring out the old, ring in the new’.  And there’s certainly a lot of ‘new’ to look forward to.  Over Christmas there was the I-D Online new take on an old favourite – the Christmas jumper.  I love Leutton Postle’s patchwork of colour, texture and shape.  True innovation, such as Postle’s and indeed designers Sibling is rare enough in knitwear and should be regarded as art, and supported and encouraged. 

Sister at Sibling is previewing her Autumn/Winter 2012 collection at London Fashion Week in February: something else to look forward to!  I must admit I didn’t know about the additional Vauxhall Fashion Scout sessions  during London Fashion Week: a great initiative to support new designers getting into the market. 

I’m wishing on a star myself that some innovative, creative person will come along in 2012 and see potential in my mega-sized, raucously fluffy and somewhat outrageous textured yarns.  But then I’ve not really gone out yet to promote myself, so few people know I’m there.  It’s probably because I’m a promotions person in the day job!  I was reminded in doing my public relations CPD the other day of the old phrase “the cobbler’s children are always the worst shod”. Hmm:  maybe I need to devote a little PR focus to myself for a change…or perhaps I’m a bit too shy!   

I’m much looking forward to another up-coming textile event, and that’s February’s Textiles in Focus exhibition at Cottenham in Cambridge.  It brings together materials, workshops, displays and demonstrations for fibre and fabric embellishment fiends.  Over three days, a few thousand outwardly creative ladies – and the occasional gentleman! – pass through the dazzling halls, searching for inspiration and finding it, by the looks of their shopping bags last year.  I shall certainly be amongst them next month!  You’ve only got to look at the work of organiser Pauline Verrinder to see that it’s truly a show worth visiting. 

Wherever you are as the new year starts, here’s hoping there’s lots to look forward to for you and yours too, and may all your new year woolly wishes come true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment